The massive infiltration of counterfeit and pirated goods drains $1 trillion from the global economy and robs over 2.5 million jobs worldwide. Millions of fake products, in virtually every product category, are being produced and shipped around the world to developing and developed markets alike at increasingly alarming rates. Millions of consumers are now at risk by unsafe an ineffective products, while governments, businesses and society are being robbed of hundreds of billions in tax revenues, income and jobs.
A disorder of this magnitude undermines economic development, a sound market economy system and open international trade and investment. No legitimate business or country is immune to the impact of counterfeiting and piracy and no single actor can successfully fight this battle alone, which is why the ICC creates the Business Action to Stop Counterfeiting and Piracy (BASCAP).
Mission of BASCAP
- Connect and mobilize businesses across industries, sectors and national borders in the fight against counterfeiting and piracy.
- Pool resources and expertise – creating greater critical mass than any single company or sector could do alone.
- Amplify the voice and views of business to governments, public and media – increasing both awareness and understanding of counterfeiting and piracy activities and the associated economic and social harm.
- Compel government action and the allocation of resources towards strengthened intellectual property rights enforcement.
- Create a culture change to ensure intellectual property is respected and protected.